Friday, July 13, 2018

Why Cruise?

Why Cruise? 


So- you want to take a vacation. The options are endless and the places to visit and means of travel are plentiful. So why pick a cruise? Is the price of a week long vacation on a boat really worth it? 

I’m here to tell you why cruising, in my opinion is the BEST way to travel. Pros and cons included because nothing is ever perfect, but I would pick a cruise over almost everything else. 

Reason 1: the food. My absolutely favorite thing about a cruise is the abundance and variety of food. Once you step on board, Royal Caribbean Cruises has a variety of restaurants, both formal and casual, for you to satisfy your hunger. Most of the restaurants stay open for a majority of the day, and some even stay open into the wee hours of the morning. There’s something about walking up to Sorrento’s (which is Royal Caribbean’s cute little pizza place), at midnight for an after dinner snack! 
My all time favorite casual restaurant is the Park Café, located on Royal’s Allure, Oasis, Harmony and Symphony. Nestled in the ships Central Park, the cafe features pastries and breakfast sandwiches for breakfast, and delicious soups, hand pressed paninis and salads for lunch! If you travel on one of these ships, I definitely recommend visiting on multiple days to check out the new selections the cruise may offer! 
 

The Main Dining Room is great for more formal dinners. You’ll receive a menu that changes each night, and your waitstaff will make sure you have the best dining experience! If you have an assigned dining time, your waitstaff will remain the same! It’s so nice to be greeted by name and welcomed with a smile each time you enter the dining room. I’ve experienced nothing but exceptional Royal Caribbean crew members in all departments, but the dining staff takes customer satisfaction to a new level. They learn what you enjoy and make custom recommendations, making your dining experience top notch. Here's a photo of the mushroom tart that was an appetizer one night, and one of my all time favorite dishes!

 

While the Main Dining Room is free, the ship features a few specialty dining restaurants. For an additional fee, you can get a new menu in a new location! I’ll be doing an entire post on the different specialty restaurants after my upcoming cruise in September- I’m so excited to try them all out! 
 

So if you’re a foodie like me, cruises give you just about anything, and almost all of it is included in the price! 
 
 
** Royal Caribbean is also WONDERFUL  when it comes to guests with food allergies. Labels are always around in the buffets and walk up dining options, and your wait staff will accommodate any allergies you may have, you can enjoy just as many tasty meals!



Reason 2: the ports. While all of my previous cruises have been to the Caribbean, I have visited so many places at such a convenience, and there are still tons to explore. From Alaska, to Spain, you can visit almost the entire world from the comfort and convenience of a cruise ship!
<< Visiting Chakanaab in Cozumel, Mexico! We swam with dolphins in the morning but then had access to the entire park. This barge was fun to swim out to and jump off into the ocean!

My dream is to go on a Mediterranean cruise, but for now I’ll stick to the Caribbean. Living in Florida, the ports of departure are just a short drive away, which is great for maximizing the most of our time prior to vacation. One of these days I'll fly to Europe to visit Santorini and Barcelona, but for now visiting the various islands in the tropical sun are just as amazing!

But let me tell you, I’ve visited Cozumel on every cruise I’ve been on- and I still find something to do! I've swam in an underground cave, visited two different beachside "parks", and just spent time near the docks shopping and enjoying Mexican cuisine! 
The excitement of leaving the ship and exploring the pier, whether for the first time or with a more familiar approach, is thrilling! All of the Caribbean islands (both Eastern and Western) are filled with so much activity, unique shopping, and authentic flavors that there’s never a dull moment. 

I definitely recommend checking out the excursions your cruise offers before you board. By using the online Cruise Planner, you can browse available adventures and learn details about what each excursion entails. Keep an eye on your email as well, because Royal Caribbean often runs sales closer to your departure date, so you can get a great deal on an awesome adventure! 
Snorkeling in Grand Cayman at the Turtle Farm! We did a lot of research on this excursion and I am so thankful we looked into all of the options because this was such an amazing day!
 
 
My biggest advice for excursions is to do your research! Don't just trust one source, because different people have different experiences. Check out YouTube videos and TripAdvisor reviews to make sure you’re getting exactly what you want on your rainforest walking tour, or waterfall climbing experience. Some require a 30+ minute drive to your destination, and others require traveling by boat. Keep these things in mind and prepare yourself for whatever bumpy roads you may be traveling on. 

In the future, I’ll be doing more posts about specific excursions I’ve done, so make sure to come back and check out! 

Either way- the ports are amazing and there’s always something to do. Even if you board the same ship twice, the itineraries change from time to time, so the trip may be completely different! For example, the first time I went on the Allure, we visited Cozumel, Mexico, Labadee, Haiti, and Falmouth, Jamaica. I will be returning to the Allure for my next cruise, but this time will be visiting St. Marteen and San Juan, Puerto Rico! There’s always something new to explore and something exciting to see! 


Reason 3: the overall cruise experience. 
From the entertainment offerings of Broadway musicals and various themed productions, to the night life with the bars and clubs- there’s something to do for everyone. Like to lounge in a quiet place? Visit the Solarium, the adults only pool area, for a zen experience under the sun. Or take a trip to the day spa for a massage or cosmetic treatment! Are you more active? Take a trip to the gym, run around the running track to get some energy out! Thrill seeking on the high seas? No problem- because some of Royal’s ships have water slides at the pool, rock climbing walls, and the highest dry slide at sea, The Ultimate Abyss (check out the photo below for the view from the top of the slide)!
 
Check out the deck plans online before you board! On the larger ships there is SO MUCH to do! The first time I boarded a larger ship I was a little overwhelmed because I felt like there was so much to do and not enough time to do it. You won't ever think Oh, I'm so bored, there's nothing to do because I guarantee there's some part of the ship that is tucked away and waiting to be explored! 
When I sailed on the Harmony of the Seas, we didn't do the water slides until the LAST sea day! We were so busy riding the carousel or trying new wines at the Vintages wine bar, that we made sure the water slides were on our to do list before we disembarked. I recommend trying EVERYTHING on the ship, because most of it is complementary with your cruise fare, so why not explore every inch!


My favorite part of cruising is taking a step back and living in the moment. Feeling the wind whipping as you walk along the higher decks, and sprawling out on the beach chairs so avoid your towel flying in the breeze. Looking out the windows at dinner to see you’re surrounding in blue serenity. Laughing so hard with my friends and seeing the twinkle from the ornate lighting in the Promenade match the twinkle in our eyes. 

Those are the best moments, and they happen so often when I’m cruising. 

There’s places to eat, places to relax, and Royal Caribbean makes sure that each place is suited perfectly to make your vacation the best it can be! 
 

Comment below and tell me what your favorite part of cruising is! Let me know what I need to check out next time I set sail!

No comments:

Post a Comment